"I think there are a few things that we need to discuss before you're allowed to leave."
Alpha Team: The Deep Freeze is a multi-chapter story written by Andrew Bermudez in 2005, included in the 2018 book Crazy Compendium: The Early Writings of Andrew Bermudez. It is an adaptation of the 2004-2005 LEGO Alpha Team: Mission Deep Freeze storyline.
"Stop it! Stop it! You're ruining everything!"
A happy July day in Legotown is suddenly interrupted by a Snow Crawler carrying an Ice Orb that drops the air's temperature. Mayor Charlie Prickman is kidnapped by the insectoid vehicle, which takes flight to deliver the mayor to the pilot's boss. The next day, the police attempt to investigate the mayor's kidnapping. They find the Ice Orb, which an undercover officer determines must have been created by Ogel.
At Ogel's Mountain Fortress, Ogel receives a report from Mr. Bones on the spy that they planted in Alpha Team. Another drone brings in the kidnapped Mayor Prickman. Ogel reveals his intentions to build a base in Legotown and turn its denizens into his slaves, then sends the mayor off to the freezing chamber.
At Alpha Team Headquarters' mess hall, Dash and Cam discuss Zed's vacation to Walt Disney World, and Charge and Arrow join the conversation about Charge's Circusotopia nightmare. Their lunch is interrupted by warning sirens, and the UN president reports on Ogel's latest scheme to freeze the world. Alpha Team is assigned to stop Ogel and rescue Mayor Prickman. Meanwhile, Ogel has the frozen mayor suspended over a shark-filled lake, ready for Alpha Team to take the bait.
Alpha Team deploys its agents across the globe to destroy Ogel's Snow Crawlers. Dash, Radia, Tee Vee, and Gearbox go to Death Valley, California. Their Mobile Command Center's tire is burst upon hitting a rock. While Gearbox repairs the tire, Dash scouts with the Blue Eagle and Radia hacks Ogel's network on her computer.
Flex and Arrow go to Arches, Utah to investigate a supposed Snow Crawler uprising. Arrow stays behind at camp while Flex goes ahead in his Ice Blade. A Snow Crawler ambush nearly kills Flex in an avalanche, but Flex escapes by transforming the Ice Blade into the IC-2 Helicopter. Upon further investigation, Flex discovers no evidence of the Snow Crawler uprising. Meanwhile, Radia discovers Ogel's actual plan but is frozen by a Snow Crawler.
Cam drives the Alpha Team ATV through Niger, where she encounters a Scorpion Orb Launcher and narrowly escapes after her stick shift is jammed by gum. Flex, Charge, and Diamond pursue and destroy a miniature Snow Crawler in Paris, France. Back at Death Valley, Gearbox realizes that Radia is frozen, and he transforms the Tundra Tracker into the Magma Drill to drill her free. Dash returns, and Radia reveals Ogel's master plan to freeze time itself and topple the world leaders.
Dash calls an emergency meeting at the Mobile Command Center, where they discuss their respective adventures and Ogel's master plan before heading to the south pole. Dash's Blue Eagle and Flex's IC-2 Helicopter fend off a pair of armored Snow Crawlers. At Ogel's Mountain Fortress, Ogel orders his drones to continue piling on Ice Orbs to power his Time Freeze Ray, and then he pulls a lever labeled "Time Stream Disruption".
In Legotown's transportation district, Captain Bill and Officer Max search a bum for stolen goods, discovering an odd device resembling a modified toaster oven. The apparatus activates and opens a time portal, causing dinosaurs to emerge and wreak havoc across town. More portals open and robots arrive to fight the dinosaurs, before all the dinosaurs and robots vanish back into the time stream. They briefly reappear on Treasure Island in the age of piracy, only to vanish again as Captain Redbeard's pirates fire cannonballs at them.
After defeating Ogel's drone army, Alpha Team confronts Ogel in his Mountain Fortress. Ogel's monologue is interrupted by the robots and dinosaurs fighting each other. Alpha Team attempts to exploit Ogel's distraction and sneak inside, but everyone is caught in a net except for Arrow, who is revealed to be Ogel's spy. Dash activates an emergency beacon to alert Zed, but Arrow says that the seagulls that attacked Zed in Florida were mind-controlled to eliminate him. Alpha Team is taken away to be fed to Ogel's sharks, while Ogel activates the Time Freeze Ray.
At Legotown, the bum attempts to call Toho Studios to make a movie about the dinosaurs and robots, who appear once again before vanishing back into the portals sending them to their own time periods. Officer Max reveals that the phone cable was severed, which is why the bum could not get through to Toho Studios, but then time is frozen.
As Alpha Team is about to be dropped into the shark lake, Zed receives Dash's transmission and heads to Antarctica in his Ice Shark. He transforms the Ice Shark into the Blizzard Blaster and frees Alpha Team from Ogel's deathtrap. While the rest of Alpha Team escapes, Zed's Blizzard Blaster engages Ogel's Scorpion Orb Launcher in battle. Blowing up the Scorpion Orb Launcher generates enough heat to unfreeze time and free Mayor Prickman, although Ogel escapes in his Sky Spider.
Mayor Prickman and Patrolman Bill notice a missing dumpster in Legotown, and Bill explains that the dumpster went back in time. Although the mayor does not believe this, he is interrupted when the dumpster suddenly reappears, covered in prehistoric plants.
After having written a number of short stories, Andrew Bermudez began to take what he had learned about writing and apply it to writing multi-chapter prose fiction. Alpha Team: The Deep Freeze was written entirely in 2005, during which time Bermudez started taking a hiatus from writing. To make it more personal, Bermudez integrated characters from his previous stories in this retelling of the Mission Deep Freeze toyline's story.
There were actually two versions of Alpha Team: The Deep Freeze that were written: a handwritten version and an incomplete typed version. The two versions were combined together and included in the book Crazy Compendium: The Early Writings of Andrew Bermudez, published on February 8, 2018, and later canonized as part of the Dimension 201 timeline on September 1, 2018.
In 2006, Alpha Team: The Deep Freeze was followed by a sequel, Alpha Team 2: The Dino Attack. A third story, Alpha Team 3: The Lego Wars, was planned but never released.
- Mayor Charlie Prickman
- Nick Johnson
- Undercover officer
- Adam Prickman
- Captain Bill
- Mr. Bones
- Mr. Whiskers
- Tee Vee
- Officer Max
- Captain Redbeard
- Hardtack Harry
- Three Corned Hat, One Eyed Jack
- Ogel's Mountain Fortress
- Alpha Team Headquarters
- Death Valley
- Treasure Island
"Stop it! Stop it! You're ruining everything!"
Alpha Team: The Deep Freeze contains examples of the following tropes.
- Adaptation Deviation:
- In the LEGO Alpha Team comics, an Alpha Team agent (visually represented as Charge, but identified in text as Arrow) pilots the Ice Blade. In this story, these scenes are given to Flex instead.
- Instead of the Blue Eagle and IC-2 Helicopter being frozen by Snow Crawlers (as in the second LEGO Alpha Team comic), they successfully defeat the Snow Crawlers in this story.
- Unlike in the comic, Alpha Team is not frozen by Ogel, but instead caught by a net and then put into a metal cage to be lowered into a shark-filled lake. Arrow is also exempt from the above, due to his Adaptational Villainy.
- Adaptation Expansion: While portions of the story are straight-up retellings of the official LEGO Alpha Team storyline, most of the chapters expand the story with original content.
- Adaptational Villainy: In the original LEGO toyline, Arrow does not get much characterization but he is depicted as a typical heroic member of Alpha Team. This story adaptation portrays him as a mole working for Ogel.
- Adapted Out:
- Inverted. Cam and Crunch, who were left out of the official Mission Deep Freeze storyline and playsets, are included in this adaptation.
- Played straight in terms of the LEGO Knights' Kingdom and LEGO Star Wars characters, who are not included in the adaptation of the time portals comic.
- Alternate Universe: As with other early stories, this story takes place in Dimension 201 instead of the main Official Cinematic Universe.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Ogel's drone commander is named Mr. Bones in this early story, while later canonical works would change the drone's designation to Drone Commander 13666.
- Hammerspace: The bum is somehow able to carry a pair of socks, an old radio, expired Legoland passes, blue French fries, paper bags, dry ink pens, bullet casings from gang fights, empty shampoo bottles, a crystal statue with both arms missing, a vacuum cleaner bag, and a toaster oven-like apparatus on his person.
- Harmless Freezing: Whenever people are frozen in a block of ice by an Ice Orb, they are always just fine once thawed or broken free.
- The Mole: Arrow is secretly a spy working for Ogel to gather intel on Alpha Team and lead them in the wrong direction.
- Plot Armor: Lampshaded due to "the Lego Company's politically correct policy", where a long and bloody battle against Ogel's drones does not result in a single Alpha Team agent dying.
- Right-Hand Cat: The evil Ogel has his pet cat, Mr. Whiskers.
- Sequel Hook: At the end of the story, after Ogel has been defeated and Mayor Prickman has been rescued, a dumpster reappears from the past while covered in prehistoric plants. Mayor Prickman fears that this is "just the beginning", leading into the LEGO Dino Attack-themed sequel.
- Shark Pool: Ogel has an artificial lake filled with hungry sharks as one of his deathtraps.
- Shoddy Knockoff Product: The Circusotopia movies are apparently ripoffs of Star Wars, and Crunch questions who thought it was a good idea.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: Arrow, who is the newest Alpha Team agent, is revealed to be a spy planted by Ogel.
- Spider Tank: The Snow Crawlers and Scorpion Orb Launcher are enormous insectoid vehicles.
- Talking in Your Sleep: Zed mentions that he heard Arrow talk in his sleep, which he should have taken as a warning not to trust him.
- Transforming Vehicle: Alpha Team's newest vehicles are capable of transforming, such as the Ice Blade into the IC-2 Helicopter.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Ogel, Arrow, and a drone observe Alpha Team being dropped into the shark pool from a balcony. The drone is thrown into the shark pool by Zed, and Ogel battles Zed in the Scorpion Orb Launcher before fleeing in his Sky Spider... but what happens to Arrow? He's not mentioned again after this.